Thursday, May 7, 2009

Measure my Effectiveness?

I have done a lot of work with my students this year using Problem-Based Learning (PBL) experiences. In the beginning of the year, I was more of a teacher and director during these explorations. I introduced a PBL activity two days ago, and as I observed my students working, I reflected on how far they had come in terms of their critical as well as creative thinking skills and reasoning abilities. Those skills are not easily measured on a standardized test. My role in conducting PBL activities shifted from teacher/director to providing guidance as a facilitator.The technology things we have done this year have also followed that same progression. I smiled when I saw how quickly my students went to our class blog to type about their thinking and what things they did to solve the problems.These observations and personal reflections are a few of the ways I am "measuring my effectiveness" this year.

No comments: