Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Research

We started working on a new PBL project this week. It involves creating a display about 20th Century Inventions and Inventors. To find out the information that we need to display, students need to do some research. I provided them with a Invention TimeLine Website to use as a starting point. I took the students to the computer lab so they could focus better. I was very pleased with their progress. Listening to them discover new information reminded me of the importance of them knowing how to read nonfiction text.
This project helps me realize how much the processes used in the Independendent Investigation Method would be beneficial for students. I need to figure out a way to get those materials. Maybe I will try to find another grant to apply for? I wonder if I could find that material on DonorsChoose?
My previous copyright lessons that I have done with these students seem to have helped them. When they took notes today, I said that it might be a good idea for them to write down the web address of where they find the information. One of the girls said she wanted to do that so she could do more of this work at home, and another student reminded all us that we need that information for when we write a report to cite our sources. :)

No comments: